Relentless Representation For Your Family Law Challenges

When can a child custody order be modified?

On Behalf of | Feb 17, 2021 | Post-Divorce Issues |

Getting to the end of a difficult divorce is often a high priority for a Maryland resident. As they settle matters related to their property and children, money and support, they may look forward to a time when they do not have to fight over the details of their daily actions. For some, the orders present at the ends of their divorces may endure for years.

For others, though, specific orders may need to be changed to meet the needs of those impacted by their terms. In particular, child custody orders often need to be modified to ensure the best interests of the children are protected and support. This post will address some of the reasons that child custody orders are modified, but readers should remember that the contents of this post and blog do not provide any legal advice.

Reasons to modify child custody orders

Child custody orders can be changed when there is a need. Though courts often will not look at making modifications immediately after divorce and custody proceedings are finalized, if there is a danger to the child in question then modifications may be considered. Other reasons for modifying child custody orders include:

  • When a parent must move with a child
  • When a parent wishes to augment their parental rights
  • When a child’s needs warrant more time with a specific parent

Courts will look at many factors to determine if a modification is needed. If so, it will change the existing child custody order to include the necessary modifications.

Beginning the modification process

Changing a child custody order, or any divorce-related order, should be done through the courts. That is because the new order will be recognized and given judicial weight if it is violated and enforcement is needed. To begin the process of modifying a family law order, a reader can reach out to their trusted divorce and family law attorney for advice and specific case-related counsel.