Relentless Representation For Your Family Law Challenges

How to get a support order modified

On Behalf of | Aug 12, 2021 | Post-Divorce Issues |

Getting a divorce from your spouse is never an easy or overnight process. In some instances, you may be interested in post-divorce modifications even after the finalization of your divorce, depending on your individual situation. If you reside in the state of Maryland, understanding the options you have when it comes to getting a support order modified is essential anytime you are experiencing or are about to experience the process of a divorce.

Reasons to consider a support order modification

If you are interested in having your support order modified, here are a few reasons that may qualify your request, even after the process of finalizing your divorce is complete:

• The needs of your child and/or ex-spouse has changed
• Your child’s medical expenses have significantly increased
• You have recently experienced a job loss or a loss of income
• Your ex-spouse is now earning a more significant income than you

Tips for parents with custodial rights

Post-divorce modifications are not that uncommon, especially in today’s modern and forward-thinking society. However, it is highly advisable to proceed with modifications post-divorce only when they are absolutely necessary. For parents with custodial rights, it is imperative to the only file for post-divorce changes if you are able to prove that income has changed substantially or that your ex-spouse’s income has significantly increased. Many states have limits on the number of times a post-divorce modification may be filed, which is why being absolutely certain of your decision is advisable.

Requesting a change

In order to request post-divorce modifications, contact the Child Support Enforcement Office in the same state where you filed for divorce, originally. Contacting the agency director will provide you with the steps necessary to complete the process.

A clear understanding of post-divorce rights and laws can help you to better navigate your own case, especially when spousal or child support is involved.