Modification of Custody

Modifying A Custody Order Through Court

The finalization of a divorce provides both parties with much-needed consistency, but not every aspect of the divorce order is final. Couples in Maryland who have finalized their divorce are able to seek modifications of existing divorce orders after the fact.

If your original divorce order no longer fits your circumstances, you may have options for making changes through the courts. Do NOT handle the changes informally between you and your ex-spouse; you will have no court protection if a dispute arises.

Talk to an attorney at Hecht & Associates, LLC, in Rockville, Maryland, about the changes you need to make.

Is Your Child In Danger Because Of The Current Custody Order?

“Changing a custody order may be something you have had in mind for a long time, or it may be something you suddenly need to happen in response to a danger your feel your child may be in. We understand that nothing more important than protecting your family. We also understand that family matters don’t just happen during normal business hours, and that availability, responsiveness and guidance are needed at critical yet inopportune times.” – Spencer Hecht

When Can You Seek A Child Custody Modification?

Most judges require that a reasonable amount of time has passed since the divorce decree was originally finalized. You may seek a modification of existing divorce orders under a variety of circumstances, including:

  • When you feel your child support obligation should be adjusted
  • When you feel your child support obligation is no longer necessary, such as when a child turns 18
  • When you would like to relocate with your child
  • When you would like to revise the existing visitation schedule

Contact Us To Discuss Your Circumstances

There are many factors to consider when seeking a modification of an existing divorce order. Call Hecht & Associates at 301-861-4797 or contact our offices in Rockville by email right away.