Protecting Your Financial Interests
In a Maryland divorce that involves a spouse who is not self-supporting or a large disparity between spousal incomes, family law judges may decide that alimony or spousal support is appropriate.
If spousal support will be an important issue in your divorce, make sure you have an experienced divorce attorney fighting to protect your rights and financial interests. Hecht & Associates, LLC, in Rockville, Maryland, offers our clients intelligent, experienced and effective divorce and other family law representation.
Not All Spousal Support Is Created Equal
In some cases, alimony can be rehabilitative, such as when the courts determine the receiving spouse should be capable of being self-supporting in the future. It can also be awarded as indefinite alimony when a spouse either is unable to be self-supporting or, even if they do become self-supporting, there will still be an unconscionable disparity between the lifestyles of the former spouses.
The determination of whether indefinite or rehabilitative alimony is complicated and involves many factors. Those factors include the following:
- The ability of the party seeking alimony to be wholly or partly self-supporting
- The necessary to obtain sufficient education or training for suitable employment
- The standard of living that the parties established during their marriage
- The duration of the marriage
- The contributions, monetary and nonmonetary, of each party to the well-being of the family
- The circumstances that contributed to the estrangement of the parties
- The age of each party
- The physical and mental condition of each party
- The ability to meet financial needs while meeting the needs of the party seeking alimony
- Any agreement between the parties
- The financial needs and financial resources of each party, including:
- All income and assets, including property that does not produce income
- Any award made under certain circumstances
- The nature and amount of the financial obligations of each party
- The right of each party to receive retirement benefits
It takes a unique and skilled family las attorney to determine the amount and duration of alimony or whether a case is properly-suited for an alimony analysis at all. This is true for both the primary wage earner and the economically-dependent spouse. At the time of divorce, each spouse is attempting to protect themselves for the future in a post-divorce life and it is important to carry this understanding with you during the litigation process.
Contact Us To Discuss Your Divorce Legal Needs
Whether you are concerned about receiving spousal support or have concerns about being ordered to pay, having an experienced lawyer on your side is your best option. Call Hecht & Associates at 301-861-4797 or contact us by email to schedule a consultation right away.